Friday, February 27, 2015

An update with more to come


I haven't had any motivation to post anything lately. I want to blame work and our super crazy and busy world, but in reality, I am occupied. Okay, not really. I am a bookworm. Every second that I am not at work, or hanging out with my guys, I have my nose in a book. I am at the point where I need to buy another bookshelf, because my other 2 are overflowing with books. I even turned down a potential date (that my cousin tried to set up, twice) just to curl up in bed and get lost in another world. So, yes, this lady is a bookworm. Someday soon, I will rejoin the world.
Oh and cf couse, the whole reason of this blog. Football.

This blog focuses on my life and the boys life as a Football Family. Something I failed to even mention or share with you. It is spring, and our football season starts pretty soon. As I type, my mind is already going through the motions of listing the equipment, schedules and the expenses. Four years ago, football was just a fun sport (which it still is) the boys played during the Fall. They signed up for different sports every other season, but football took up our life. And it wasn't a burden like most people say it is. We did it for the excitement, new experiences and the memories. We weren't taking it seriously then, but once they grew older, my oldest decided that that was what he wanted to do. He wanted to play football when he grew up. At that time I just rolled with it, because it was what he wanted. It wasn't until 2 seasons ago, that I realized how dedicated he was. I sat in the bleachers watching this little boy, my son, striving to be better on and off the field. At the end of each games, he would get pats on the back, handshakes from his coaches and teammates of doing a good job. He started practicing with his other brothers every day after school, on the weekends. At the end of the season, his coaches praised him for improving from previous years, for being committed to their program. It was then when I realized that, yeah, I can totally see him playing the sport. So I did the only thing I could think of. I researched the game, the rules, the statistics of Football. I learned about concussions, injuries, plays, and field positions. To be honest, I freaked out over 80% of the stuff I read. I wanted to show him the concussion rates for youth football players. I wanted to pull him out of the sport. But while browsing through any and every site that I could read, I stumbled upon Football Mom blogs, articles, and opinions. I started reading about positive ideas to make the game safer, with improved equipment. I let myself calm down.

I also had a heart to heart talk with their coaches, and the new parents I met through their football league. I decided to support my sons. So we sat down and talked. We discussed if football was something they just wanted to play for the time being or if it was something they wanted to continue in Junior High and beyond. So each year we sit down and discuss this, because I didn't want them to continue something they didn't want to. So far, nothing has changed on that front. So we decided that spring and summer football camps were options to help them learn more, because I believe that yes practice makes perfect, but practice also helps with making them become more safer, and more aware.

So that is our goal this weekend. Time to figure out which football camps to attend, their summer schedules, and get ready for the football season. I will also be attending a Football Mom clinic to get more information and more support from other mothers in my position. Who knows this might be my last year as a Football Mom, because they might suddenly decide that they want to play soccer or try karate.

As long as they are active and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment