Friday, February 6, 2015

Going for pizza

In my 20 something years, I admit, I had never been on an actual date. I never had a man open the doors for me, help me in and out of my seat, buy me flowers, or give me a (non-sexual) good time. Of course, there was Prom, but really, that doesn't count in all this, because I was just a child back then.
I guess, I could be hurt over it, upset about it, but really, with my relationship history, I have just accepted it. Despite the lack of romantic gestures, I still enjoyed Valentine’s Day, and Mother’s day. I bought myself flowers, which were placed in a vase in the kitchen for all who entered my home, to see. I enjoyed random glassed of wine, which I purchased myself after a long work week. I even looked forward to having small intimate dinners with my close friends and family. So I was more than okay with not ever having an actual date. I never actually told anyone any of this until February 2013.
2 years ago, my sons and I were at home, and the oldest asked me if the groundhog had seen it’s shadow. I didn't know and my parent’s didn't know, so I sent out a massive text to everyone in my contacts the question, “Did the groundhog see it’s shadow?” I got a few replies back with “I don’t know”. I was on the verge of lying to my son with “Yes, he did”, but before I could form a response, my friend text back “He did not see his shadow”. (After that he was my go-to for random information) I suspect that he went out of his way to Google the answer, which I guess I could have done, but me being me, well, I didn't have the brain power to actually go through with it.
From that one text we went on and on for half a day of random topics until it landed on “Love Day”. I might have been the one to broach the topic, only because I was telling him I wanted to surprise my sons with a new TV for their room. That is as romantic as I was getting. He laughed and told me I sucked at romance, which I had to agree with. Not knowing where any of this would lead to, I nonchalantly told him that I had never been on a date. In which he replied back that he thought grabbing a $5 pizza to take home was a date. We laughed over it. The next day he called and asked me if I wanted to pick up a $5 pizza. I honestly thought at the time we were going to be picking up a $5 pizza, not realizing that was his way of asking me on a “date”. It’s a good thing I found a sitter for the boys, because he would have taken all of us out for “pizza”.
I am not used to being cared for by a guy, other than my dad, so having someone open the door for me, made me feel silly. Once we got to a steakhouse on the mountain, instead of the walk-in pizza place, I realized my mistake. I couldn't’ help, but feel out of place, because I was way under dressed. Every other couple that was seated in the restaurant had put thought in their outfit, while I sat there in jeans, flip flops and a hoodie. After all, I thought we were going on a freaking pizza run.
During this time, I would like to add that, we were not in a romantic or sexual relationship. It was strictly friendship, so the entire evening we talked, laughed and had a really fun time. We ate from each other’s plates, because that was just how we were. We shared dessert and played rock-paper-scissor for the last big bite. When we were getting ready to leave, I opened up my mess of a purse to give him my share of the tab. But he told me he would take care of it. I didn't think anything of it, until that night after I put the boys to bed. That was the first time I had fun and was catered to by someone other than my parents or family. At the back of my mind I put that night down as my “first actual date” not knowing that that was in reality my first date.
Valentine’s Day came around and I gave my sons their gifts of baked cookies, balloons and their TV. I didn't expect anything, because I gave up on expecting anything since high school. So I was very surprised when he handed me a single pink rose. I felt bad that I didn't get anything for any of my friends or parents, but he told me that it was no big deal.
Two years later, we are sitting across from each other at Pizza Hut and laughing about our “firsts”. The boys are in the arcade area, I have a box of conversation heart candy beside me and we’re smiling at each other thinking about how special getting pizza is.

No comments:

Post a Comment