We went hiking today. I haven't hiked since last year. It wasn't as bad as I thought considering I am reeeally out of shape. I'm actually amazed I made it to the top without throwing up or giving up on the 2nd rest break. The boys on the other hand are too active for their own good (thank you sports!!). They literally ran up and down that mountain. I need to get on their level. Soon.
While we stretched at the bottom of the mountain, he asked me what my fastest time going up the mountain was (he knows how competitive I am and how I try to beat my times) and me and my big mouth replied "25 minutes going up and 15 minutes coming back down... Jo and I got to the point of stopping just once". I should have figured out what was going on when he turned his cap around and faced away from me. I could see him smirk from where I was standing. Watching him as he looked back up at the mountain, turn back to me and smile, made me feel too much like a 13 year old eyeing her first crush. Geeze. I figured we'd take our time, after all this was my first time back at the mountain in 5 months. I am so dumb.
We started out with light conversation, mostly about the Super Bowl and weather. The Patriots were going to win (which they did) and the weather was spectacular. My breathing suddenly became rapid and my calves started burning. I know I am out of shape, but I found it odd that I felt like I was jogging. "Is this how it's always been?" I wondered. It wasn't until I noticed that we stopped talking and all I heard was my deep breathing and the boys' laughs and voices a few feet ahead of me that I realized we were moving faster than I normally did. I shouted "This is not a race!!" And I heard him laugh. He stopped and waited for me to get ahead of him. I knew there would be a clearing coming up where we could stop and take a breather. I kept my focus on the steps ahead of me, not wanting to trip or loose my balance. The area we were at was now steep. I told myself "We're almost at the halfway mark" Whenever I slowed down, all I heard from behind me was "Keep going, almost there" A couple of minutes later when I finally looked up I noticed we were way passed the halfway mark and were near the top. I stopped, turned around and glared at this crazy guy behind me. He just stood there laughing at me and said "What? We beat your time and with no stops too" I continued giving him the evil eye and wanting to call him a bunch of bad names, but I was too busy trying to control my heavy breathing. Before I could say anything, the boys started back down the mountain. We didn't even have a five minute break!! He gave me his huge grin, turned around and started following them back down. He yelled back "I had a great view on the way up" and laughed. It took me a few seconds to figure out what he meant. That jerk!
It takes you 10 minutes coming back down, if you chase someone down the mountain... and with no stops.
We beat my time... and at the bottom of the mountain I found my first born doing some weird celebratory dance and singing "I make my own money so I spend it how I like. I'm just living life..."
Oh, brother!
No comments:
Post a Comment