When I received my sons football schedule, the first thing I checked was the date for their scrimmage, because it never fails, it always tends to fall on the day of the ASU scrimmage at Camp Tontozona. And *ding ding ding* of course... never fails.
The boys and I haven't traveled to Camp T since 2012, so this year I decided it was a must. It was the official first week of school, but on Friday we skipped work and school for the love of football. Are we dedicated? Yes!, Are we hardcore? You bet!, Are we crazy? Maybe... haha
Camp Tontozona is about 20 miles out of Payson, it is smack dab in the middle of a forest of pines. The Sun Devil Football team have been coming to Camp Tontozona for a camp prior to the start of the season. They have a team scrimmage on the last day. The Camp hadn't been used for a few years, but when Coach Graham came on board he revived the tradition.
Driving towards Payson is always a lovely and nice drive. We left home at 6am, and made it right at the start of practice. We came when it was starting to warm up. Even though the camp is in higher elevation and among pine trees, I thought it was still a little too warm. BUT who knows, the players probably loved it.
There were already a lot of fans crowded on the sidelines considering we came on a Friday morning. It sure felt so good to be among the maroon and gold crowd though. Watching the players warm up and run drills must have pumped my oldest up, because he didn't blink for like 10 minutes. I am glad I am able to do these sort of trips with my guys. Lotsa wonderful football memories.
That was our start of our weekend.


No comments:
Post a Comment